DaDaBIK 11.3 Elba is out! The main reasons for this releases were a a fix to a bug that prevented to assign a user to a specific group after self-registration and two little but useful new features I have recently developed:
1) the possibility to have different labels for result grids and forms. Often in a results grid you have so many fields that you need shorter labels. Backwards compatibility is guaranteed: if you don't assign a value for label grid (a new form configurator parameter), the "standard" label is used instead.
2) The new $hide_quick_search config parameter
There are other bugs fixed so as usual I suggest to have a look at the change log.
You can buy your new license here, you can upgrade your existing license here.
Finally, one important thing I would like to discuss with you is the behaviour of the previous/next buttons and navigation bar.
I have added a new chapter on the documentation, explaining why this behaviour could be unexpected for the final users of your applications. I have been thinking about better ways to handle these features since quite a long time ago but I haven't found any satisfying solution. I would be happy to hear your opinion, we can use this forum post.
DaDaBIK V 11.2 is out.
As anticipated in my last message, I am focusing on refining existing features, fixing old known bugs and making the whole DaDaBIK experience as fast and pleasant as possible.
These are the new things I want to highlight here:
- "Live edit" (i.e. edit data from the results grid) has been heavily improved, removing several of the limitations we had. You can find all the details in the change log.
- Live edit is now enabled by default, check the chapter about live edit in the documentation to understand which are the current limitations and the implications of having this feature enabled. You can also enable it just for certain fields.
- The "Forgotten password" feature, introduced in DaDaBIK 11.1, was available only if you allowed users self-registration. It is now available even if user self-registration is disabled.
In addition to that, you will find several graphic improvements and changes to buttons, forms, icons, fonts. I think the interface looks better and more modern but I am still not 100% convinced about the font change, that now is thicker. I think that, overall, it looks nicer but since DaDaBIK is typically used to build applications that end users could use for hours a day, my first concern is always on readability and on avoiding as much as possible eyes fatigue. I would love to hear your opinion about this!
The list of fixed bugs is very long - yes, that old "less_then" typo has been fixed as well :) - so I suggest to read the whole change log. In particular if you were using live edit or custom code in your applications, there are a few tricky issues, now fixed or better explained, to review.
All the online demo are now upgraded to this latest release.
You can buy DaDaBIK 11.2 from here https://dadabik.com/download
You can find all the new features and bug fixes in the change log.
As usual, if you already have a license, get your v. 11.2 copy from the upgrade page.
DaDaBIK has now a pretty solid features set available. During these weeks, I am trying to focus on improving what we have, refining existing features, fixing old known bugs and making the whole DaDaBIK experience as fast and pleasant as possible.
I have also started a Features Showcase Series on YouTube, where I want to present in details, in each episode, a specific feature; typically I will showcase one of the newest feature, introduced in DaDaBIK 10 or 11, that haven't been covered in tutorials yet.
The first episode is about live edit, introduced in V. 11 Elba with some limitations. The live edit feature has been improved a lot, removing several of the limitations we had. The video has been premiered yesterday evening on Youtube and you can now see it here:
It has been recorded using DaDaBIK V. 11.2, currently under test and available soon. Apart from the improved live edit capabilities, you will see a slightly different graphic layout: several changes to fonts, buttons, icons, spaces; in most of the cases, they are minor changes but overall I think they make the GUI more modern and pleasant to use.
The idea is to post a video every two weeks, if you want to keep updated on the videos click on subscribe and then hit the notification bell on YouTube.
in November, DaDaBIK will turn 20 :)
In this article, I have summarized the lessons learned during all these years. Some tips and advises useful for independent software vendors or anyone who plans to build and distribute a (typically digital) product:
Personal productivity, relationship with the users, tools, passion, digital nomadism are some of the topics. Of course there is a bit of DaDaBIK history as well.
I know that many of you are software developers or digital creators so I thought it might be useful to share!
Dear DaDaBIK users,
a new version, 11.1 is out. The main change is the availability of users self-registration. A "register" link allows visitors to create their account, specifying username, email, password and other optional information.
This feature is disabled by default, a new enable_users_self_registration config parameter allows you to enable it.
Other two new config parameters allow to enable email confirmation (account is active only after email confirmation) and the "forgot password" feature (a temporary new password is sent via email). Finally, you can also choose the group a self-registered user should belongs to.
Two other small but quite useful enhancements are available:
- a select all link allows you to select all the records in a page without selecting each checkbox manually. You can then delete all the elements or apply a custom function to the set of elements. The link appears after having selected one record.
- For php_ajax custom buttons, it is now possible to specify, in your custom function, a custom message (confirmation message or error message) that wil be displayed to the user after the execution of the function. Until now, only a "Done!" message was always displayed. You can find an example in the documentation.
Online demos still run V 11.0 and users self-registration won't be enabled anyway so you can't check out the new features from the demos.
We also have several bug fixes, please check them out in the change log; the first in the list (the htmlspecialchars requirement) it's not a proper bug, more a missing note in the documentation but it's still very important to verify.
You can buy DaDaBIK 11.1 from here https://dadabik.com/download
You can find all the new features and bug fixes in the change log.
As usual, if you already have a license, get your v. 11.1 copy from the upgrade page. If you have an Enterprise license and want to upgrade to Platinum, reply to this email.
Finally, a special thanks goes to the translators, the work this time was much more than usual!