I'm working on the next release (3.1 beta) of DaDaBIK and probably it will be released on July.
The release will contain:
- a rewritten engine that perform the select query using join and aliases (this fixes the problems related to multiple references to a linked table and the multiple use of the same field name)
- the ability to handle HTML content: a new field type rich_editor which uses htmlarea (http://www.interactivetools.com/products/htmlarea) as rich text editor and a new content type: "html"
- a basic authentication model, that for the moment allows a user to change and delete only his own records.
I'm proud to announce that two people have joined the DaDaBIK project:
Debbie Sontag (debsweb at shaw.ca), who manages the support forum and has started to write some additional documentation and
Marcello Vitali (si13259 at iperbole.bologna.it) who has implemented the rich text editor in DaDaBIK and is working on the authentication feature.
Stay tuned :)
DaDaBIK 3.0 final release is available.
This version fix several bugs discovered during the beta test, including some " Error: during query execution" errors which appeared under particular conditions. It has been added also a new configuration parameter used to control the width of the results table columns.
I'm already working to the future 3.1 version, in which I will partially rewrite the engine that produce the SELECT statement, in order to fix the problems related to the multiple reference to a linked table and the multiple use of the same field name.
For further details see the changelog page.
I have also decided, starting from this version, to always release an upgrade procedure that allows to upgrade to a new DaDaBIK release without loosing the previous configuration settings.
Another way to support DaDaBIK, besides donations, is now available; I've put on this site some sponsored links to DWeb, a very interesting software product that allows the deploying of a PHP/MySQL application on CD/DVD. If you buy DWeb from these links I earn some money for every sale.
On friday may 7, 2004 I will be in Padova (Italy) at Webb.it to give a
seminar about DaDaBIK and rapid MySQL front-end developement.
I will explain how to use and exploit DaDaBIK using a real life example.
Webb.it is the most important italian meeting for ICT professionals and talents.
you have been waiting for one year but I think it is worth the effort :)
I'm proud to announce that DaDaBIK 3.0 beta has been released.
It's difficult to summarize here all the changes, the decision to change the major release from 2.x to 3.x is however due also to the fact that all the code (5000+ lines) has been revisited and in some part rewritten.
Among other changes:
- The primary-foreign key feature is now complete: it is possible to link a field of a table (foreign key) to a number of fields of another table (containing the primary key). The produced HTML select menu will have the linked field values as "options" and the primary key values as "values". This allow to use a normalized DB design.
- The speed of DaDaBIK in managing DB with a large number of tables is now dramatically increased.
- "Export to CSV" feature
- All the HTML code produced can be handle by the CSS file
- It is now possible to order result records both in ASC and DESC.
- "Delete all" feature
For the complete list of changes and bug fixes see the changelog.
As you can se we have also a new Web site and a logo, thanks to my colleague and friend Fausto Mazza (main at digiworx.it) for it.
Last but definitely not least: it is now possible to make a donation through Paypal. All you need to make a small donation and support the future developing of DaDaBIK is a Paypal account or a credit card. DaDaBIK has costed to me hundreds of hours and you can download it for free, so if you like DaDaBIK, do it!
a new version of DaDaBIK, 2.2.1, is available; in this version:
- When a record containing an image_file or generic_file field was updated without uploading a new file, the record loosed the link with the old file; this bug has been fixed.
- When a user perform a search in a table containing an image_file or generic_file field the "browse" button was displayed by the browser for those fields, this behaviour makes no sense; this bug has been fixed.
- The field names of the where clause in the update statements were not back quoted, consequently the update failed if the name of the primary key field needed to be escaped (e.g. a reserved word), this bug has been fixed.
- The dutch version of DaDaBIK produced a parse error, this bug has been fixed.
- It is now possible to choose if you want to delete (both in the database and phisically) a previously uploaded file.
- When two or more files with the same name are uploaded, a new name is assigned automatically (e.g. my_file.txt become my_file_2.txt if my_file.txt already exists, my_file_3 if also my_file_2 already exists and so on).
- It is now possible to configure DaDaBIK to accept all files (regardless to the extensions) coming from upload.
- Since DaDaBIK requires to set magic_quotes_gpc = on in php.ini (which is the default setting), now if magic_quotes_gpc is off DaDaBIK will stop and display an error message.